SRAG – Stratford Residents Action Group and the SWRR
I keep reading that The Stratford Residents Action Group are campaigning against the Stratford South Western Relief Road but if they expect any support from other Stratford residents apart from those on the Luddington Road, Stannels Close and others in the close vicinity surely they need to make it more clear what they are campaigning for?
Looking on the SRAG website at http://srag.co.uk/ I found their mission statement
SRAG’s Mission Statement
“To campaign for the relocation of the South Western Relief Road* to a less harmful location that will
• deliver better traffic management outcomes
• provide a more sustainable traffic solution in the long term
• ensure the preservation of community green space and biodiversity”
The key point of the SRAG Mission Statement to me is – To campaign for the relocation of the South Western Relief Road
I’ve been following SRAG for some time now and all I’ve ever seen from them is objections and reasons for the South Western Relief Road not to be located where it is proposed
I may have missed it but not once have I seen SRAG suggest or even give an inkling of where they want the Stratford South Western Relief Road relocated to – The Key point of their mission statement
How can SRAG expect me to support them when they wont make it clear what they are campaigning for?
An open question to SRAG
What exactly are you campaigning for?
– Are you only against a bridge and new road in the proposed location?
– Are you against any bridge and new road between Stratford Racecourse and Welford
– Would you support a bridge and road if it was slightly further West than the proposed location?
Until you answer these questions how can you possibly expect to receive support from other Stratford Residents apart from those whose back yard the road will be in?
Would SRAG support an alternative route – similar to the mock up below?
Proposed Route Stratford-upon-Avon South Western Relief Road
Approximate route of the South West relief road for Stratford-upon-Avon with new bridge over the river Avon and 8m above the railway lines.
A possible alternative route taking the traffic further out from Stratford, away from housing on Luddington Road and other side sewage works.
Here are just 10 reasons why the Alternative SWRR may be seen as a better route.
10 Reasons Why The Alternative SWRR Could be a Better Option
1. A better link to the new Long Marston New Town.
2. Moved away from racecourse.
3. Moved away from flood plains.
4. Moved away from majority of housing in Luddington road.
5. A smaller elevated section crossing river and rail track.
6. Joining on to Evesham Road well out of town.
7. A better route to eventually link through to Alcester Road.
8. Is an actual bypass rather than a so called relief road which provides a way of bypassing Stratford completely.
9. Provides 3 spur routes in to Stratford (via Evesham road, Alcester road and Birmingham road)
10. Far more suitable for larger vehicles.
Agree or Disagree? – Have your Say Below
The possible alternative route could eventually link from Banbury Road to Alcester road, be well outside Stratford with an elevated section resembling an old viaduct over rail lines and river.
South West Relief Road – South Western Relief Road – Stratford West Relief Road
SRAG and The SWRR – Comments Welcome