What was the WiX SEO Hero Challenge
The SEO Hero Challenge was a 2016/2017 SEO Competition organised by WiX where the aim was to rank highest in Google for the phrase SEO Hero
SEO is an acronym for Search Engine Optimisation (Search Engine Optimization for our friends the other side of The Pond), and is the word used to describe the tactics used when trying to get a website to appear higher in Search Engines for the words, phrases and related words/phrases that it has been optimised for.
WiX is a Tel Aviv Public company who are traded on NASDAQ and have numerous international offices.
WiX provide various Web based products and services one of those being a freemium website building platform that enables users to create nice looking websites using drag and drop tools.
The goal of the WiX SEO Challenge was to register a new domain and optimize a new website to appear as high as possible in the Google search engine for the phrase SEO Hero within a 4 month period.
Why did WiX set the SEO Hero Challenge up?
WiX may be a great website building system for those with little technical knowledge but it has often been criticized by some in the SEO Industry for not being search engine friendly.
Some of this criticism may have been justified but a lot of it also appears to be just by sheep like people who read an SEO expert say something bad about WiX and then go repeating this on SEO forums, newsgroups, etc. without themselves having even used WiX
To counter this criticism WiX put up a $50,000 challenge for the SEO who beat them in ranking on the Google search engine for the phrase SEO Hero.
“We’re going to create a new WiX website optimized with the search term
“SEO Hero”. You’re invited to create your own website (feel free to use any platform). If your site ranks the highest for that search term in 4 months’ time, we’ll give you $50,000. Yes, it’s that simple.”
WIX SEO Hero Contest Rules
It looks like WIX are calling it WIX SEO Hero Contest rather than WIX SEO Hero Competition so here is a brief summary of their rules which can be seen at: here [PDF]
The Main Rules of WIX SEO Hero Challenge are;
- Content of the contest website must be in English
- Domain used for the competition must have been registered after 16th November 2016
- Entries must be submitted between 16th November and 16th December 2016
- Entries submitted via here
- Entrants must create a Google Account, set up Google Search Console and Google Analytics accounts and grant the moderators of the WIX SEO Hero Contest administrative rights before February 16th 2017
- The WIX SEO Hero Contest website must be created, maintained and promoted in compliance with the Google Guidelines for SEO published here (the “Guidelines”). Any activity in violation of the Guidelines may disqualify the Participant
- All competitors must provide a link to the Penrod Shero SEO Hero page at http://www.penrodshero.com/ for the duration of the contest*
Information can be found – here
FAQ’s can be found – here
Full rules can be found – here [PDF]
* Penrod added that one 😉